Early Years ARC
Early Years ARC
The Early Years Additionally Resourced Centre at Cheviot is a specialised provision for Newcastle pupils with additional needs. Through a range of assessments the EY ARC aims to facilitate the appropriate school placement for the child within Reception age. The provision aims to provide continuum of provision extending from individual support and small group setting to inclusion in mainstream classes, if appropriate.
An Early Years or National Curriculum will be followed and personalised to meet the needs of each individual pupil. Staff allow children to learn through play based on activities planned to capture the children’s interests. Throughout the day, learning will take place through a mixture of small group sessions led by an adult, individual teaching and periods of child initiated activities where children are supported by adults to extend their learning through their own interests.
The provision offers eight places which are allocated by the Local Authority (not Cheviot Primary), they are supported by one teacher and an SEN Teaching Assistant. Staff offer assessments to pupils who are considered likely to need support in gaining access to the National Curriculum, due to a range of early developmental difficulties and for who further assessments may be required.
Through celebrating the children’s achievements and offering regular praise and rewards, the provision aims to create a supportive caring, warm and nurturing environment where the children are encouraged to develop independence and confidence who become proud of their progress.
The Early Years ARC offers:
- A smaller classroom setting enables a higher adult to child ratio and to reduce visual and auditory distractions.
- Clear sanctions and rewards that are followed to offer children structure and routine.
- Visual timetables using Newcastle symbols and supported by the use of Makaton.
- Children are integrated into mainstream classes where appropriate with initial support to develop social and emotional development in a range of settings.
- IT equipment such as ipads are integrated into lessons where appropriate.
- The environment is set up to ensure children can develop a broad range of exploration skills.
- Staff work with specialists from outside of school to support the children overcome barriers.
- Small group or 1:1 targeted programmes are delivered to children to improve social skills and emotional resilience.
- Outdoor learning is used to offer a different approach to the curriculum.
- A quiet space is provided within the classroom for pupils to use as a safe space to calm down in.
Places are allocated by a formal process ran by Newcastle Local Authority. These are not allocated by the school/SMART Multi Academy Trust.
Who to contact - Mrs. Abbott (EY ARC Teacher) or Ms. Thompson (SENDco)
Telephone: 0191 2869324
Please read our ARC leaflet on our school website http://www.cheviot.newcastle.sch.uk/website
Updated April 2020