Early Years ARC
Early Years ARC
The Early Years Additionally Resourced Centre (EY ARC) at Cheviot Primary is a specialised provision for Newcastle for learners. Through a range of assessments, the EY ARC aims to facilitate the appropriate school placement for the child within two years. We also provide a continuum of provision extending from individual support and small group setting to inclusion in mainstream classes, if appropriate.
An Early Years Curriculum will be followed or a differentiated National Curriculum depending on their age. We allow children to learn through play based activities planned to capture the children’s interests. Throughout the day, learning will take place through a mixture of small group sessions led by an adult, individual teaching and periods of child initiated activities where children are supported by adults to extend their learning through their own interests.
There are eight places available within the Early Years ARC, with a Teacher and one SEN Teaching Assistants. We offer assessments to pupils who are considered likely to need support in gaining access to National Curriculum, due to a range of early developmental difficulties and for whom further assessment is required.
Through celebrating the children’s achievements, and offering regular praise and rewards, we aim to create a supportive, caring and warm environment where the children are encouraged to develop independence and confidence, and become proud of their progress.
- Clear sanctions and rewards that are followed to offer children structure and routine.
- Visual timetables e.g. Makaton
- Children are integrated into mainstream classes where appropriate with initial support to develop social and emotional development in a range of settings.
- ICT equipment such as ipads are integrated into lessons where appropriate.
- The environment is set up to ensure children can develop a broad range of exploration skills.
- Staff work with specialists from outside of school to support the children overcome barriers.
- Small group or 1:1 targeted programmes are delivered to children to improve social skills and emotional resilience.
- Outdoor learning is used to offer a different approach to the curriculum.
Places are allocated by a formal process ran by Newcastle Local Authority. These are not allocated by the school/ SMART Multi Academy Trust.
Who to contact
Contact Name: Mrs. Abbott (EY ARC Teacher) or Mrs. Thompson (SENDCO)
Telephone: 0191 2869324
Please read our ARC leaflet on our school website http://www.cheviot.newcastle.sch.uk/website
Updated September 2019