Social, Emotional & Mental Health ARC
The Social, Emotional and Mental Health Additionally Resourced Centre (SEMH ARC) at Cheviot Primary School is a specialised provision for Newcastle learners aged between 5 - 7 in school (predominately KS1). The provision is for children who struggle with their behaviour in a mainstream setting and need the benefit of additional support to access mainstream education in school. The ARC facilitates an appropriate school placement for children with the expectation that a child would remain in an ARC for a maximum of two years.
There are six children in the SEMH ARC, with a Teacher and a SEN Teaching Assistant. The provision offers a place where your child can flourish in a small group, with adults who have expertise in emotional, social and mental health difficulties. We provide a continuum of provision extending from individual support and small group setting to inclusion in mainstream class.
The aim of the SEMH ARC is to create a happy, welcoming, stimulating environment which will provide the children with the opportunity and motivation to develop their full potential socially, emotionally and intellectually. We offer a broad and balanced curriculum and aim to re-integrate your child into mainstream education whenever possible. In order to achieve this we:
- Encourage the children to develop independence and positive attitudes to learning
- Develop a calm atmosphere where all children have a high self- esteem and confidence in themselves and learn to treat others with respect
- Encourage children to take responsibility for their own actions
- Promote positive relationship, perseverance and social tolerance
- Clear behaviour management systems are based upon encouraging children to make positive decisions about behavioural choices.
- A smaller classroom setting enables a higher adult to child ratio and to reduce visual and auditory distractions.
- Clear sanctions and rewards that are followed to offer children structure and routine.
- Children are integrated into mainstream classes where appropriate with initial support to develop social and emotional development in a range of settings.
- Staff ensure they put advice from specialists/ outside agencies into daily practice to support the children overcome barriers.
- Outdoor learning is used to offer a different approach to the curriculum, which supports children with social, emotional and behavioural needs.
Places are allocated by a formal process ran by Newcastle Local Authority. These are not allocated by the school/ SMART Multi Academy Trust.
Who to contact - Contact Name: Miss Khan (SEMH Teacher) or Ms. Thompson (SENCO)
Telephone: 0191 2869324 E-mail: email@example.com
Please read our ARC leaflet on our school website http://www.cheviot.newcastle.sch.uk/website
Updated September '17